Monday, August 30, 2010

Changing minds with spirituality.

Changing minds with spirituality.

Around April a strong feeling set in; I needed to at least be practicing in a band setting every week. After hearing stories from other musicians who split time between churches, I was considering splitting time between the Orchard and another local church that was short on bass players.  There was conflict with the theory of placement, and the issue of loyalty, so I prayed a lot for guidance.  Then came a call, which was completely out of the blue, with an offer to audition for a cover band.  Their band practice was Thursday night, fitting perfectly into my schedule, so I accepted.

Initially it was a lot of fun to learn new songs, tighten them up every week in practice, and then talk about available gigs. The band members were easy going; everyone shared the idea that we were out to have fun playing music that we like.  No egos, no rockstar mentalities, none of that diva stuff.  It was a guys night for them; low stress, have a few beers, and practice the songs they are in a mood to play that night.  Honestly it was the cure to midlife crisis through being part of a bad.

Something interesting happened this weekend.  We played at a toga party thrown as a 20th high school reunion alternative to the actual event, hosted by my drummers at his beautiful house in a very upscale area. His friends are all new money, self-absorbed, status conscious people, and while I liked most of them, I really didn't feel like I fit in.

Later in the afternoon they were having a weird conversation about the world ending, that's when he turns to me and says, "you're the most holy person I know, and the day the world starts coming to an end I'm going to find you." I give him a shrug and he adds, "if there is anyone that God is going to save, it is going to be you. Maybe you can put in a good word for me."

Now I'm really perplexed because I've invited them out to church once or twice and they were quickly avoid the subject, so I dropped it. Through brief conversations I came to know where they stand with religion. None of them want to have any affiliation with Christianity, so I've never tired ministering to them, and I've never played up my status as being outwardly holy. We've had a few conversations about getting paid to play at church, and nothing I could say would change their minds from this exploitation happening every weekend.  Seriously, if I could play praise music seven days a week for free, then I would. I'm confident that God would take care of me.

So I asked why he thinks I'm that holy because I don't perceive myself as being any different than other Christians I know at church. His answer is more attuned to how I carry myself spiritually; being humble, honest, forgiving, patient, and not being judgmental toward anyone in the band for the lack of religious practice. I'm not the typical Christian. But what if..? 



This is what happens when you don't practice for a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment